Saturday, December 31, 2005

Northern California Rocks and Rolls


It's New Year's Eve and it won't stop raining. California is being hit by a major storm and it looks like some homes might seriously begin to rock and roll soon. I hope not, but California isn't exactly known for stable ground. Whether it's an earthquake or a mudslide, we're always guaranteed a bit of "excitement," if you want to call it that. I want it to stop already.

I don't mind being single (yes, this was a very abrupt change of topic)...I really don't. I like having my independence and I know that one day I will meet my hero, despite the fact that finding a good man has become harder than a game of Where's Waldo. I notice it mostly when I spend time with my parents. They're trying to understand how I could be single. How is that possible? Why am I single? Why have I not found anyone? Why don't I smile more often? Why aren't I nicer to men? Why? Why? Beat me! Why? Why? Beat me! Why? I know MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING was really a spin off of my life and it should have been called MY MEDDLING ITALIAN PARENTS!

I don't know why I'm still single. Every guy I've dated has been a douche bag to me and now I have become a bit more selective. I won't date anyone and I certainly would never sleep with just about anyone (as my mother, whose desperation has finally taken hold of her, suggested during the holidays). I don't discriminate...younger men, older men..fine! I don't care really. I'm not really that much into looks. Of course, I need to be attracted to my man physically but sense of humor and intelligence are far more important to me AND...well, I hate to say this but most of the men I've met lately are less than stellar in that department. The story here gets better.

Tonight, since most of my friends are scattered throughout the country, with most of them in NY and the others in LA or newly married (and you know those could very well be in Zimbabwe for all you see'em), I decided to spend a nice, quiet New Year's Eve home with my family. I just wanted to relax, watch a good movie, maybe even read a good book. My plans were shattered when my folks told me they were invited to spend the evening at their friends' house. I thought...OK, FINE. I'LL JUST SPEND THE EVENING AT HOME AND DO WHAT I WAS PLANNING ON DOING ANYWAY. Well, no...doesn't work that way in Italian families apparently because they now insist (i.e. demand through emotional blackmail) I come with them because they don't want me to be home alone. It would take a few blog pages to fully detail why I now feel obligated to join them in an evening which will be FUN for them but TORTURE for me. My mother, who is now going through her "change of life," freaks out over the most insignificant things. When I insisted I was going to stay home and just "chill out," she flipped and said I was ruining her life. Yeah...we women have a lot to look forward to when we hit a certain age. My challenge for this new year is finding a place to travel to next year this time. Believe you me, single or coupled, I won't be spending it here being tortured by well meaning, yet meddling parents.

On a bright note, I figured out how to work the blog sidebar. Special thanks to Kristie from the awesome RAMBLINGS ON ROMANCE for helping me out with this one. She suggested reading Nicole's BLOG HAPPY. I have a long way to go with figuring out the ins and outs of blogging, but I'm getting there.

I'm reading FORBIDDEN MAGIC and I can already tell it's going to be incredible. I couldn't stop laughing yesterday when I started it. The hero is so funny and, damn, so sexy! I wish I were the heroine!

No comments: