Sunday, December 25, 2005

It's Christmas and...

my family is all downstairs playing cards (I'm horrible at that, to be honest) and I'm up here trying to decide what book to read. I brought over a bunch of books and I have no clue whatsoever what to read. I want to finish THE KITE RUNNER, but I'm in the mood for a naughty book, so that one's just gonna have to wait. I recently finished reading UPON A WICKED TIME by Karen Ranney. Oh, God...OMG...I hated it! I couldn't get over how much I wanted to beat the shit out of the book's "hero" (term seriously being used lightly) Jered. WHAT A FUCKING DOUCHE BAG!!! The heroine had some definite balls on her (more than the hero, I might add) for a great part of the book, but then at the end of the book she just forgives him for ever shitty (sorry for the poor vocabulary, but I am not only recovering from Christmas food coma, but I'm also very angry I spent a few hours reading this SHIT hoping it would get good!) thing he's every done to her and, believe you me, he did a lot. I mean, would anyone with a brain ever forgive a guy who:

1) took her to some sex club and then fucked her against some serious STD tainted wall?
2) kissed his whore of a mistress in front of her over and over and over again?
3) dumps her the night AFTER he pops her cherry in his home in the country with a bunch of strangers AND goes off to London to hang out with sluts and idiot buddies?

Yeah, most intelligent women would answer NO to that question, but Tessa, the heroine, after displaying a good set of cajones throughout much of the book, forgives him and makes love to him JUST LIKE THAT!!! MORON! I would not recommend this book to anyone; it's was something that, after a while, started resembling an episode of the Maury Povich Show.

In any case, now I'm trying to decide on a book. It's down to Gayle Callen's HIS BRIDE or a reread of Kleypas' SUDDENLY YOU. Choosing the latter would probably be a smart decision. I've read SUDDENLY and love the book; on the other hand, after Callen's THE LORD NEAR DOOR which put me to sleep, I really want to give this author a chance to redeem herself. I'm leaning towards Callen's book.

Let's hope the book's not as bad as Ranney's.

No comments: