Monday, August 27, 2007

The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell


A cruel twist of fate changed Simon Blackwell’s life forever. A man of intense passions, he resolved to deny his emotions and desires forever—taking refuge in the wilds of the moorlands and shutting himself off from the world. But on one extraordinary night, on a rare trip to London, the unthinkable occurs. An intoxicatingly beautiful stranger stirs the sensuous hunger he has sworn to resist. Simon Blackwell believed that no woman could tempt him.

No woman…save Annabel McBride.

Annabel knows nothing of Simon’s secret pain. But one irresistible kiss plunges her into marriage with a man she scarcely knows, a man who hides a shattered past. She can feel the blistering heat of the fire that burns within this exquisitely handsome man, making her yearn for much more than the union in name only he has promised her.
But Simon dares not love again--for fragile love can be lost in an instant. And now Annabel must find a way to open his heart to the most glorious risk of all.
*****************
I love a good mystery when I read a romance novel. I love it when the hero or heroine have a big secret they’re withholding from everyone, especially from those they hold dear. What I don’t love is a drawn out snoozefest that promises a big secret and then gives me a big WTF. Yes, WTF! Not too eloquent, huh? But really, how else can I describe a secret that consists of the usual “my wife and kids died and I feel totally guilty because I lit a stupid candle and they wouldn’t have died in that fire had I not done that and plus, I yelled at my son and the last time I saw him, his eyes were full of tears.” Wah wah wah wah. STFU! Bah! I’ve only read this big “secret” about a dozen times. The other twelve times, however, the secret was revealed early on in the novel. Not the case with the book I'm referring to: The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell.

I don’t know what I expected from this latest effort by Samantha James; her books are either hit or miss with me. The story started strong enough with a chance meeting and instant dislike. Potential, I thought to myself, this book has potential…..so I kept on reading….and soon wanted to take the book, rip it from its binding, eat the pages and spit them all out. Confetti, anyone?

I was not impressed.

A small suggestion for authors.....if you have a secret, make sure it’s truly shocking. Just a thought. Also, don’t make me wait almost an entire novel before having your hero disclose it….especially if it’s a secret that's been recycled more than a newspaper.

I feel terribly guilty for saying this about this novel, because I do like its author, but I was bored to tears and felt myself scrambling for something, anything, that would make me love the book. The book is the first in a series. I will continue reading it because I’m a schmuck and I love series novels. I also have full confidence in Ms. James. This book may be a miss for me, but there’s always the possibility of a hit with the next.

The Secret Passion of Simon Blackwell lacked a good secret; hero was a wimp and the heroine should have hit him over the head with a heavy piece of firewood. Buy only if interested in series novels. Otherwise, save your money, your time and your nails (I bit mine all off while reading because I was so frustrated).

3 comments:

sybil said...

Well look who is back.

hi ;)

I was all sorts of shade of excited to read this book. And really I am still trying to figure out what the fuck the big deal was.

missed ya

romancelover said...

Glad to be back...had a bit of a set back in my ways than one. Better now...a little. :)

romancelover said...

*more ways than one...argh!